FOIA Request

Frequently Asked Questions


Where is the Circuit Clerk’s office?

The Office of the Circuit Clerk is located in room 21 on the second floor of the Richland County Court House at 103 W. Main St, Olney, IL 62450.

What are the Circuit Clerk’s office hours?

The Office of the Circuit Clerk is open from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM  M-F

Where are the courtrooms?

Courtrooms are located on the third floor.  Court is mostly held in large courtroom, but special settings are set in the small courtroom.

How do I get a copy of a marriage or death certificate?


Do I need an attorney for court?

While you can file a case pro se (representing yourself without an attorney), it is always recommended that you use an attorney.

Can Circuit Clerk employees help me with my legal problem?

The staff of the Circuit Clerk’s office is always available to answer your questions.  However, employees are prohibited from giving legal advice of any kind.

How can I pay fines or court costs?

The Circuit Clerk’s office accepts cash, cashier’s checks, or money orders.

Do I have to pay my fine in person?

You do not have to pay your fine in person. Any petty traffic offense that does not require a court appearance can be paid by U.S. Mail.

How do I get copies of court records?

All records that are not sealed by the court are available for viewing by anyone.  Copies are available for a small fee. Documents are not available online due to the Administrative Office of Illinois Courts policy on electronic access.

When are court records updated?

Most court records are updated the day that court action is taken, however; some cases can not be updated until released by the court.

What do I do if I miss a court date?

You should contact your attorney immediately.  If you are prose, you should contact the State’s Attorney’s office immediately (618) 395-8444 office as soon as possible for information regarding your missed court date if it is a criminal or traffic matter.  It is better to come in person and look at the file if it is a civil matter.

When can marriages or civil unions be performed?

Wednesdays at 3:00 depending on the court schedule.  Please call in advance (618) 392-2151 .  You must have your marriage certificate 24 hours in advance from the County Clerk (618) 392-3111.

Do I need to return my juror questionnaire?

You are required by law to return it in a timely matter.

What happens if I do not show up for jury duty?

The Judge could order the Sheriff to bring you to court and explain your absence.

Can I be excused from jury duty?

Prospective jurors must come in person to fill out a jury excuse.  Medical excuses must have a doctor’s note explaining why the individual cannot serve.  The Judge will decide whether to grant or deny the request.  The Circuit Clerk’s Office will contact you on the Judge’s decision.

How far does the Circuit Clerk records go back to?

We have court records that go back to 1841.  Many believe that they were all destroyed in the fire of 1913, but that is not the case.  However, only current court cases from 1999 to the present are listed on Judici.  Researchers will have to look at indexes for pre-1999 files if not on Judici.

How do I get on supervision for my traffic ticket?

You must contact the State’s Attorney office for supervision.  Their number is (618) 395-8444.